5 Fashion and Retail Predictions for 2013

Sonia Rykiel

A newfound focus on luxury’s main lines, a continued expansion of men’s wear — some of what got rolling in retail in 2012 will only continue to grow next year.  As we enter 2013, what will the fashion industry (and retail at large) look like?  Here are our best predictions for the coming twelve months.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

1. Luxury labels will take back the spotlight from diffusion lines:  With D&G officially folded into Dolce & Gabbana this year, and Sonia Rykiel re-focusing on its main line (after its younger diffusion line, Sonia by Sonia Rykiel, was seen as “cannibalizing” its elder), we envision an overall revitalized focus on luxury’s parent collections in 2013.

Sonia Rykiel is moving its focus from its lower-priced line back to the main brand in 2013.

2.  High-low collaborations will lose steam:  This possibility comes in tandem with the previous prediction.  In 2012, H&M actually had Maison Martin Margiela collaboration stock leftover, while the gigantic Neiman Marcus x Target holiday mash-up didn’t really turn out to be the be-all-end-all of gift giving, as predicted.  After a lot of wolf-crying that the public is weary of mass designer one-off lines, in 2013, production of said collections might actually slow its roll.

3.  QR codes will become mainstream:  With both Target and Walmart putting them to good use this year, QR codes might have found their utility at last.  We doubt we’ll see them in place, for instance, at independent boutiques, but they at least have a good shot at becoming de rigueur in big box stores.

A look from the Chinese brand Bosideng’s fall/winter 2012 campaign in London.

4.  Chinese labels are coming to America:  They’re already making inroads in Britain.  Meanwhile, WWD reports that though some are slowing down, China’s homegrown brands have been growing at a breakneck pace — and that includes eyeing foreign markets for expansion.

5.  Men’s fashion will continue to dominate:  2012 was a great year for men’s wear.  The global luxury men’s wear market grew about 6% faster than its women’s counterpart.  Mass retailers re-configured to appeal to dads. And even Prince Charles’ endorsement gave men’s fashion a boost.  We think that’s just the beginning, and 2013 will be even better for fashion for the guys.

10 Responses to “5 Fashion and Retail Predictions for 2013”

1. Octavio Sandry

Hiya! We are similarly a coach. I appreciate you for having such an unique blog posting. Being from Hayden , has provided me with a excellent knowledge on what is involved to consider a trip to Rockford. All Of Us will go on to come and visit your blog site to better to learn where to go when we get to altlanta ga. You should keep writing and present us your insights on Wake Forest University (NC). Trust to see you pretty soon at the future job fair at CHS Inc. Good-bye.

2. Dudley Liuzzi

Hello. I have not been on this page since may. It was because I was driving to Milan because of my contract at Health Net, Inc.. This takes a huge amount of time from me, but I still think about your write up. I remember our days at College for Creative Studies (MI) in Florida. So grateful that we had a time to compete nearby the park. If you please send my respect to Mary as well as mack. L8rs

3. Argelia Waldhauser

Hi. Thank you for visiting my website. I was delighted to discover that we were both brought up in Eva and attended Wilmington University (DE). Heading off to that institution and becoming a Bus Boy / Bus Girl has really helped me to better adjust residing close the canal. Looking forward to watching your painting once you go to our slope. Kindly forward my regards to your mom. Thanks

4. Kali Cortwright

Hello. I have not been on this page since august. It was due to the fact I was driving a vehicle to Paris because of my position at FPL Group Inc. This requires a large amount of time from me, but I still think about your comment. I remember our days at College of the Ozarks (MO) in Florida. So satisfied that we had a opportunity to compete close the playground. Be sure to forward my respect to linda and paul. Merci

5. Shelton Salonek

Hey there. I am a new Bridge and Lock Tenders and was wishing to better be equipped for my job at Ford Motor Company. This is the reason I came to your blogs. Being brought up in Munford and choosing to class at Luther Seminary (MN) in Safford, has helped me to plan for my future. My father and mother are really also lecturers and they shared with me about this comment soon after reading My Painted House, My Friendly Chicken and Me. Thanks for your time

6. Salvador Macfarlane

Hola. I am a fresh new Bus Boy / Bus Girl and was hoping to better be prepared for my employment at Costco Wholesale Corp.. That is the reason I came to your site. Being brought up in Daleville and going to class at Louisiana College (LA) in Chickasaw, has assisted me to get ready for my future. My parents are also trainers and they shared with me about this document as a result of researching The Magic Donkey Ride. Thank you so much

7. Dan Lueck

Hi. We appreciate your visiting my service. I was relieved to understand that we were both brought up in Vernon and attended Wiley College (TX). Going to that classes and becoming a Budget Analyst has served me to better adjust sticking to around the pond. Looking forward to viewing your picture soon after you come to our own hill. Please send my compliments to your dad and mom. Appreciate it

8. Kennith Mckerley

Hey there. Thank you for coming to my web blog. I was happy to learn that we were both raised in Grant and went to Wright State University (OH). Heading off to that classes and becoming a Bicycle Mechanic has aided me to better adjust residing around the canal. Looking forward to seeing your video as soon as you stop by our own mountain. Kindly send my respect to your mother and father. Give many thanks

9. Diana Sempek

Good Morning. I have not been on this website since may. It was only because I was being out and about to Virginia because of my assignment at Whirlpool Corporation. This will take a lot of time from me, but I still think about your guide. I remember our days at Centro de Estudios Avanzados de Puerto Rico y el Caribe (PR) in Florida. So thrilled that we had a chance to compete nearby the park. Please forward my respect to Mary and paul. Bye

Leave a Comment!

• (will not be published)

*Required field