Between last night’s Fashion’s Night Out, the VMAs, and President Obama’s speech at the DNC, we’re sure you missed some of the Spring 2013 shows (and their attendant live streams). We know we did, anyway. Just to get you up to speed, here are our five favorite looks from New York Fashion Week so far:
1. Everything from Honor’s Spring 2013 show yesterday was muted and lovely, but this was the prettiest of the bunch.
2. Nobody does subtle hipster tailoring like Rachel Comey. (What? That’s a thing.) We love the bustline, the little peekaboo cut-out, the updated version of our favorite middle school 90s shoes…the whole look, really.
3. After showing up everywhere at the couture shows, the veiled look lives on at Peter Som. We’re also digging the continued trend toward printed jeans.
4. When we think of Steven Alan, we envision gingham and reversed seams. That said, we’re pretty into this matching outfit — the recent colorblocking trend gives way to pattern-blocking?
5. The ubuiquitous maxi dress gets a sleeker silhouette at Costello Tagliapetra. For the record, we also loved the entire collection’s color palette, which featured blues, oranges, and greens reminiscent of Willem de Kooning’s paintings from his later years (somebody must have seen that MoMA retrospective).