Guess you have to go to Paris if you want to see some skin. But as the Parisian designers are being lauded this week for their fashionable maturity, all the cut-out looks were in the very best of taste. Herewith, our five favorite peekaboo looks from the City of Light:
1. The square cropped tops at Balenciaga were the coolest geometric clothing we’ve seen all season. Bonus points for having Liya Kebede walk in the show.
2. Balmain’s excess of linebacker-style shoulders isn’t for us, but a cropped top that follows the pattern of a chair’s caning? We’ll take it.
3. Isabel Marant continued to demonstrate her stylish love for all things Americana with tie-front cropped tops in a sort of blown-out abstract Hawaiian print.
4. Instead of one big cut-out, how about a whole lot of tiny ones at Christian Dior?
5. Just barely hinting at an exposed strip of upper midriff, as with this look at Roland Mouret, was a common theme at Paris Fashion Week. There’s plenty of time to start the very light ab exercises this style requires.