Here’s one way to get over fashion collaboration fatigue — instead of the usual luxury/mass retail partnerships, some high-end designers are joining forces with a pretty funny range of generally unfashionable consumer products. From ice cream bars to the kitchen sink (no, really) check out the amusing items to which designers are lending their skills and their names.
1. Victoria Beckham & Range Rover: The official title of Beckham’s car collaboration is the Range Rover Evoque Special Edition with Victoria Beckham. The car costs $90,000, and among other amenities the designer chose to include, each of the 200 vehicles is outfitted with mohair carpeting.
2. Jason Wu & Brizo: He designed the First Lady’s inauguration ball gown, but did you know Jason Wu also created a sink faucet? The young designer’s collaboration with Brizo was released this spring, and includes the faucet along with various bathroom fixtures, racks, and even a trash can.
3. Karl Lagerfeld & Magnum: Since Karl Lagerfeld famously doesn’t eat much besides Diet Coke (another one of his collaborators), directing three short promotional films for an ice cream company seems odd. That said, the resulting videos were very fashionable, starring Rachel Bilson and Baptiste Giabiconi.
4. Alice + Olivia & Magnum: Of course it would be the case that Magnum would also find a fashion collaborator to celebrate the release of a smaller ice cream bar. The European company teamed up with Stacey Bendet of Alice + Olivia to create a corresponding “mini” skirt to go with their new Magnum Mini. The skirt will debut during Fashion Week in September.
5. Kirrily Johnston & Kellogg’s: You’ll have to head to Australia for this one — Kellogg’s is publicizing their Special K brand cereal down under by partnering with Kirrily Johnston on a red leather handbag featuring a “snack bar pocket.” This might sound like a silly stunt, but the bag made it into Johnston’s runway collection during Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in Sydney. And the thing isn’t cheap. The special snack pack purse is $750.