Who says you can’t fete the earth with glam new cosmetics? A handful of beauty companies are going the distance to explore their natural, charitable sides and properly celebrate Earth Day 2012 (which is on April 22, in case you didn’t know). From eco-friendly refills to tree planting initiatives, these five beauty lines have taken “sustainable” to a lovely new level.
1. Tarte Cosmetics: The glam, natural ingredients-based makeup company paired off with The Beauty Department, a blog manned by Lauren Conrad, among others, to create the perfect Earth Day beauty kit. For every one of the limited edition Down to Earth Kits sold, Tarte will donate 20% of the proceeds to WineToWater.org, which provides clean drinking water to communities in need all over the globe.
2. Lavanila: Lavanila, which specializes in safe, natural fragrance, bodycare, and deodorant, is leading its own Earth Month celebration throughout April. The company is partnering with the Nature Conservancy for the second year in a row, this year pledging to plant a tree for every new Facebook “like” received between now and April 30. And if they hit 4,000 new fans, they’ll offer everyone 30% off a one-time online purchase.
3. Kiehl’s: The heritage beauty brand partnered with Rosario Dawson, Spike Lee, Florence Welch, and Mark Ruffalo to design packaging for their Rare Earth Pore Cleansing Masque, with 100% of the net profits benefiting Recycle Across America. The Earth Day-themed line is part of the company’s more extensive, charitable Limited Edition Label Art series, which benefits a number of different non-profit organizations.
4. Bond No. 9: A part of their “I Love NY” fragrance collection, Bond No. 9 launched “I Love Earth Day” just in time for April 22. A portion of the proceeds from the scent will go to New York State’s Empire State Development programming. Oh, and during the company’s countdown to Earth Day, receive a free pocket spray in your scent of choice when you make any online purchase and enter the code “recycling.” (Hopefully entering the code reminds everyone to actually follow through on the practice.)
5. L’Occitane: We feel L’Occitane deserves a shout out for their every-day-is-Earth-Day approach to beauty. Besides sourcing sustainable ingredients for all of their products, the brand also offers its most glamorous cleansers, perfumes, and haircare products in big, eco-friendly refills. Avoid creating unnecessary new packaging and throwing out perfectly good tins, jars, and bottles by purchasing the efficient 3.5 to 16.9 oz. (depending on the product) refills.