Sure, every model you can think of has a Twitter handle — and seeing who tweets at whom can be an interesting insight into behind-the-runway friendships — but which models offer up more extensive self-branded social media? We wanted to see who was posting the good stuff to Tumblr, Instagram, and so on. After all, fashion’s as global an industry as it gets — to overcome the inherent language barrier, with this particular social media, images really do say more than words.
And hey, these accounts certainly provide more fun photos and better insight into top models’ working lives than a Google image search:
1. Oh So Coco: Coco Rocha’s Tumblr is just great. It connects to the model’s jewelry line (which is worth checking out), charity work (the newly founded Model Alliance), and even to her husband’s Tumblr page. Fun candid shots are interspersed with well thought out blog entries. Might we say, ahem, that this is a model social media presentation?
2. Kloss Gloss: The hands-down model of the moment, Karlie Kloss, actually cited Coco Rocha’s Tumblr page as an inspiration to start her own. The 19-year-old supermodel keeps things candid and personal, updating the page with where she’s traveling, pictures of (model) friends hanging out, and the occasional outtake from professional shoots.
3. Christy Turlington: We know, we already pointed out that any and every model has a Twitter feed. But Turlington’s (@CTurlington) focuses on her work as a global maternal health advocate, along with her filmmaking, writing, and day-to-day life. The feed offers a great peek into the perennial supermodel’s daily existence, while providing a wealth of information on some pretty important issues.
4. Joan Smalls: Speaking of a model’s day-to-day life, if we had to pick just one Twitter account to follow from the current crop of runway and editorial stars, we’d go with Joan Smalls (@joansmalls1). It’s a perfect mix of travel news, Fashion Week updates, images (both candid and professional), and Smalls’ daily goings-on.
5. Gisele Bundchen: When it comes to social media, the Brazilian bombshell sticks with trusty old Facebook. Bundchen keeps a far more extensively updated page than most, and it’s particularly cool that all posts are written in both English and Portuguese. As for the content, Bundchen puts up a mix of editorial shots, past and present, along with links and information on her various charities and causes close to her heart.
A few of our model favorites are also publicly using Instagram, so if you’ve got a smartphone, check out Heidi Mount (heidimount), Karlie Kloss (officialkarliek), and Candice Swanepoel (officialcandice). Last but not least, DON’T follow any of the Kate Moss accounts on Twitter — they’re all fake! The supermodel who once declared she’d never grant an interview certainly doesn’t Tweet. We just thought you should know.