If you’re stumped on what to gift this holiday season, consider giving the present that keeps on entertaining: mobile apps. With iPads and the iPhone 4s dominating holiday wish lists, attendant apps are a perfect last-minute gifts for the techie in your life who seems to have it all. Whether it’s a gorgeous interactive cookbook, or a coveted New York Times subscription, these five apps would make wonderful gifts to use all year long.
1. The Professional Chef by the Culinary Institute of America ($49.99): This digital cookbook has been featured in The New York Times, Bon Appetit, The Next Web, and Cool Hunting, and for good reason! The iPad app allows users to watch over 100 videos by instructors at the Culinary Institute of America (the same folks who trained Anthony Bourdain and Anne Burrell) and boasts gorgeous pictures of delectable dishes. It would make a perfect gift for the foodie in your life!
2. AmpliTube ($19.99): This premium version of the AmpliTube iPhone app makes a perfect gift for any musician in your life. The app turns any iPhone or iPod Touch into a serious mobile guitar and bass processor, allowing quality recording on the go, from anywhere in the world. It’s an ideal present for any iOS-wielding musician who loves to play and record live music.
3. Spotify Premium subscription ($9.99/mo): Popular music-streaming app and website Spotify allows users to create their own playlists and listen to albums for free, all at the mere touch of a button. Even better, a monthly subscription allows users to stream playlists and search for songs via their mobile device. Imagine listening to that perfect song, whenever you want — talk about a gift that never gets old! At $10 a month, it’s the perfect gift for the music lover in your life.
4. New York Times Digital Subscription ($70/6 weeks): Give the gift of knowledge this year with an all-access pass to the digital version of the Times. It provides unlimited access to nytimes.com along with the newspaper’s iPad and smartphone apps. It’s the ultimate gift for friends and family who love to stay in the know.
5. Magellan RoadMate USA, ($49.99): This iPhone app is the perfect gift for a soon-to-be college graduate or any friend with a tendency to hit the open road. The navigation app provides all the amenities of a customizable GPS service, but with the added convenience of being integrated with your iPhone (and Yelp, in order to provide nearby business recommendations). The app offers three voice options for turn-by-turn guidance, traffic and roadwork alerts, and address book integration — all so you can get out of town, stress-free!