Will Facebook's Local Deals Mean The End of Groupon?

buywithfriends_2011_3

Facebook just keeps on expanding its reach, and these days the monolith of social networks is increasingly taking inspiration from other successful tech startups. Soon after Foursquare introduced the idea of “checking in” to specific locations using your phone, Facebook unveiled a feature called “Places,” that allowed its users to do just that. Now the social network is challenging local coupon sites like Groupon and LivingSocial with expanded Facebook Deals offerings.

“Buy With Friends,” a program Facebook initially debuted in San Francisco in January, will do just that — allow people to “buy deals on Facebook and share them with their friends.” The service will soon be tested in five cities: Atlanta, San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas, and Austin.

Facebook plans to both land its own deals with retailers and incorporate deals from partners like Gilt City and Plum City, reports Bloomberg News. The offerings are meant to play a big role in Facebook’s social environment — not only can users prompt their friends to opt in to the same deals, but the offerings — dinners, events — are all group oriented as well (so you can enjoy them with your friends).

As Facebook’s director of local operations, Emily White, told the Financial Times, “You won’t get your legs waxed with friends. You dine out, you go to concerts, you do outdoor activities. We want to make sure those experiences are maximized.”

Facebook execs clearly took note when Groupon recently turned down a $6 billion acquisition offer from Google. And Facebook bigwigs are likely aware of the much-discussed projections by consulting firm BIA/Kelsey — namely, that the group-deals market could reach $3.93 billion by 2015.

It’s too soon to say whether or not this development means curtains for other local deal sites — it may depend upon just how loyal customers are to their web coupon purveyors.

8 Responses to “Will Facebook's Local Deals Mean The End of Groupon?”

1. Vicki Pouk

Good Morning. I have not been on this website since June. It was because I was journeying to Seattle because of my work at Oracle Corporation. This takes a lot of time from me, but I still think about your guide. I remember our days at Chowan University (NC) in Florida. So glad that we had a chance to play around the pool. Please forward my compliments to Mary as well as john. Goodbye

2. Bernie Brender

Hey there. We appreciate your checking my web blog. I was glad to find out that we were both brought up in Laceys Spring and attended Won Institute of Graduate Studies (PA). Heading off to that university and becoming a Avionics Technician has aided me to better adjust sticking to near the lake. Looking forward to watching your photo whenever you head to our own slope. Remember send out my compliments to your mother and father. Thank you so much

3. Wm Sugg

Hello. Thank you for visiting my service. I was thrilled to find out that we were both brought up in Sheffield and went to Wingate University (NC). Attending to that college and becoming a Atmospheric and Space Scientist has supported me to better adjust sticking to close the lake. Looking forward to finding your picture as soon as you stop by our own stack. Kindly give my regards to your mom and dad. Warm regards

4. Floyd Malia

Hey there! We are also a music teacher. Thank you for creating such an great entry. Being from Adger , has provided me with a good idea on what is required to take flight to Birmingham. My Partner will keep working to come and pay a visit to your website to better learn where to go after we come to Atlanta. You should keep blogging and furnish us your memories on Valdosta State University (GA). Would like to see you soon at the new job fair at Google. Enjoy your day.

5. スーパーコピー プラダ トート デニム

2016年人気最新品、新素材! には、ルイヴィトンコピー、シャネルコピー、グッチコピー、コーチコピー、ロレックスコピー、プラダコピー、ブルガリ財布コピーその他小物等、ブランド品、、ルイヴィトン、PRADA、Coach、GUCCI、CHANEL、BVLGARI、デュポン、ROLEX時針各種海外有名ブランド品を豊富に取り揃え、しかもお客様を第一と考えて、驚きの低価格で提供しております。税関の没収する商品は再度無料にして発送します。広大な客を歓迎して買います!3-6日にきっと引き渡す.
    スーパーコピー プラダ トート デニム http://www.gowatchs.com/brand-198-b39-min0-max0-attr0.html

6. ロレックス 激安 通販

「シャネルは膨大な量のビデオ投稿によって、同業他社を圧倒している」と、研究を主導した同社リサーチ?アナリストのマーベル?マクリーン氏。「1回のファッションショーから、8本のYouTubeビデオが製作された。ビデオはラガーフェルド氏によるデザイナーらへのインタビューやセレブの出演者、ショーで用いられた衣装などを扱っており、多くの視聴者を魅了している」
    ロレックス 激安 通販 http://www.buyma.cc/copy-209-b0.html

7. クロムハーツ スウェット スーパーコピー 時計

Rolexスーパーコピー時計販売はROLEXコピー時計通販専門店です . 0.678244178 ロレックス時計のムーブメント:スイス製クォーツ . 品質保証、世界一流ロレックス時計スーパーコピー、精巧に作られたのスーパーコピーロレックス(N級品)2016年新作。
    クロムハーツ スウェット スーパーコピー 時計 http://www.newkakaku.com/cxb1.htm

Leave a Comment!

• (will not be published)

*Required field